by Kristen Leon
Today at VMworld 2012 in San Francisco, VMware kicked off its 9th annual conference announcing the first solution to deliver the software-defined data center – vCloud Suite 5.1 – as well as enhanced offerings for SMBs, and new services and IP to help customers move to the cloud.
At the heart of the vCloud Suite is a set of products that apply the virtualization principles of abstraction, pooling and automation to the domains of storage, networking, security and availability in a bundled package for the cloud era:
· Lay the foundation withVMware vSphere 5.1 – more than 100 new and improved features for all apps, support for VMs with up to 64 virtual CPUs, enhancements to the VMware vSphere Distributed Switch and vSphere vMotion to enable live migration of VMs without the need for shared storage
· Simplify and automate management with VMware vCloud Director 5.1, vCloud Connector, vCenter Operations Management Suite and vFabric Application Director
· Redefine the network withthe newVMware vCloud Networking and Security 5.1 (VXLAN protocol + vShield Edge)
· Automate disaster recovery for all applications withVMware vSphere Data Protection, vCenter Site Recovery Manager 5.1
The news does not stop here. Starting today, VMware is also offering…
· Two enhanced SMB editions that bring advanced features to small businesses: Improved vSphere 5.1 Essentials Plus and vSphere 5.1 Standard with Operations Management. Read the full product details here.
· Cloud Ops Intellectual Property (IP) and advisory services: to help organizations navigate through building, running and optimizing public and private cloud environments. Read the full details here.
Additional resources related to this announcement are included below, though please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions. VMware will release an additional announcement to extend its desktop capabilities during tomorrow’s keynote, so tune in at 8:30amPT/11:30pmET to hear it live: http://www.vmware.com/go/now.