How To Backup Your Services OnlineFriday, October 19, 2012
Posted by Robert Beagle
By Kristen Graminga
There’s a reason you’re always hearing about backing up data---all the digital content you’re creating, from photos and music to documents and spreadsheets---is just one crash away from being lost forever. And when that crash comes, you can be sure you’ll wish you’d planned ahead.
The good news is that there are many helpful data backup services available today, any of which can give you the security and peace of mind you need. With that in mind, here’s a look at a sampling of data backup services for small and medium businesses today!
Data Backups with Unlimited Storage
When you’re looking to protect a huge disk of large data files, a service with unlimited storage makes sense. Note, however, that unlimited doesn’t literally mean unlimited but rather the amount of storage on your covered computer’s hard disk. When you exceed certain limits, your transfer speed will likely be slowed down. Here are a few examples of data backup with extensive storage.
- Benefits: Established service, unlimited storage plan
- Data Limit for Ideal Speed: 200 GB
- Cost: $59 annually
- Benefits:Generous storage plan, strong Web interface
- Data Limit for Ideal Speed:150 GB per one PC
- Cost:$50 annually
- Benefits: Unique capabilities like multiple backup sets and backups to friends’ computers, unlimited storage, backs up attached devices
- Data Limit: Unlimited
- Cost: $50 annually
Data Backups for Multiple Computers
When it’s not just one but several computers you are looking to backup, you need a data backup service that can accommodate that. Here are several good options.
- Benefits:Unlimited number of computers, saves all file versions, protects access with encryption key, strong mobile client
- Cost:$100 annually for unlimited computers
SOS Online Backup Home Edition 4.74
- Benefits: Multiple PC coverage, external and network drive backup, local backup, excellent iPhone app
- Data Limit: 50 GB on up to 5 PCs
- Cost:$79.95 annually
Norton Online Backup 2.0
- Benefits:Supports multiple PCs in one account, slick Web-based interface
- Data Limit:25 GB on up to 5 PCs
- Cost: $50
- Benefits: Automated backup, cloud-based disk drive
- Data Limit: 100 GB on unlimited PCs
- Cost: $99 annually
- Benefits:Version saving, open-file backup, support for multiple PCs
- Data Limit:50 GB on 3 PCs
- Cost:$100 annually
How to Choose Your Data Backup Service
Whether you’re after the latest and greatest storage service or just need somewhere to store your data safely, the key is comparing your needs with what’s available. The options above are just a sampling of the many different services out there. That said, however, don’t get so hung up on selecting the perfect option that you put off storage. Remember, any backup is better than no backup---and there’s no time like the present!
About Kristen Graminga:
Kristen Graminga is Chief Marketing Officer for BluePay, a credit card processing firm, and also serves on its Board of Directors. She has more than 15 years experience in the bankcard industry in direct sales, sales management and marketing.